Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I Have To Get Up Early...

I have been having major issues with getting my runs in during September.

August was a pretty good month with me logging in over 60 miles for my upcoming Half in December. September was supposed to have over 100 miles logged which would ultimately lead me to my PR, but I did not get close to those numbers. My goal for September was actually to run 99 miles, that is what my plan called for.

August totals- 60.12 miles
September totals- 44.86 miles

So I am well off my plan.  So I had to look at what happened, why did I miss so many miles? Here is the answer.

Life happened.

Things got busy at home, at work and with the family. Trips were taken, schedules had to be adjusted that really weren't working for the family. I constantly have to remind myself that this is my hobby. I am not feeding my family based on how I do in a race fortunately (because we would all starve!) With 3 boys in school, and each of them having to be ready at different times, the mornings are quite busy.

Applies to many aspects of life
My oldest son leaves for the bus stop at 6:20, my middle has to get a ride at 6:30 (we live to close to the school for the bus and his instrument is to much to lug everyday) and my little guy starts an hour after the bigs! My wife has some classes in the morning to teach this year, so we are busy as a family. I like seeing my boys off to school, so I am not blaming them at all.

Life Happens.

So, if I want to continue to run, I have several options. I can run in the evenings, but that takes away from time with the family. I also have to watch what I eat during the day, and I love me some Taco Bell (Yes, I know that is an entirely different post). Plus, it will soon be dark by the time I get home with Daylight Savings, so that doesn't really solve anything.

So my option that I choose is to just get up earlier. Get up at 5, hit the road by 5:20ish, get back by 6:30 and then enjoy the day. My weekday runs never get past 6 miles and that should not be more than an hour, so it is totally doable. It makes sense. It makes sense if I really want this PR, which I do.

Yes, it is still dark at 5:20 AM here in Memphis, but I have options. My gym is open and I can always hit the dreadmill. I really have zero excuse not too. I always feel like a more dedicated athlete when I am up early, and out training. My big thing will be staying awake! I always hit the 2 PM valley!

I am sure that every runner/triathlete that has ever trained has run into training issues (see what I did there? run into issues??) I also know that no matter how hard I try, I doubt I will hit every  planned run. 2015 is going to be a big year for me and I want to be ready. I wrote this on Twitter the other day and I think I may print it up and hang it on my mirror, it is a take off of the old 'I do today what you won't so I can do tomorrow what you can't" quote, I hope it works for you as well.

I gots to get up early to get me where I want to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...