Sunday, August 14, 2011

45, 9 out 10 and 1 1/2 Stars

Today I ran the second segment of the Memphis Runners Road Race Series. It consisted of a 5 mile run. The weather was perfect and much better than you could imagine for August here in Memphis. I was feeling pretty good about my plan for this race and really had a specific goal in mind. I got up early (5:15 AM) to prepare and get to the race site. (It seems to be getting easier to get up so early nowadays). I was able to jog a little, hit the porta-potty and get to the start line. I was almost late to the start line due to long lines at the bathroom, and I really planned on placing myself about 30-40 ft behind the start of the line, so I would not avoid anyone slower and not be in the way of anyone faster. Turns out I was really in the back of the race. I thought they took off heading east, but it was really west, so my plan started off rough. I kept my pace and ran my race. I finished 377th out of 949 overall, and 51st out of 88 people in my age group with a time of 45:57. Overall in the series I am 311 place in the series!

It was funny because at about the 3.5 mile mark, there was a huge hotdog standing the middle of the road with a sign asking everyone to hit the turbo button! I hit the turbo button, but I do not think it worked for me. It was one of the funnier things I have seen in a race.


I gave them 9 out of 10 stars. I am talking about some new socks I tried out for this run. Balega Running socks! Designed, tested, and manufactured in South Africa, Balega running socks are ultra soft, durable, and well designed. Balega means "To Move with Speed" and the socks they offer provide outstanding results regardless of the speed you move at. All of Balega socks offer a seamless toe, deep heel pocket, and terrific moisture management technology. I loved them and I am looking to get some more. So Balega, if you’re reading this, I can send you my address!


Now for the 1.5 stars, that goes to the movie “The Tourist” starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp. This is the absolute slowest movie I have ever seen. My wife and I watched it on Saturday night, and we both were looking forward to it, but it is stupid, dumb! It feels like they spend the whole movie trying to make Jolie look graceful and beautiful, but it really turned me off. The movie made no sense in the end, and my wife and I are still kind of scratching our head about it. So, don’t waste your time on this movie, it is totally not worth it. 1.5 stars is being generous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...