Monday, July 18, 2011

I Have Missed the Pool

Saturday I ran the Mighty Mite Sprint Triathlon in Forrest City, AR. One thing that I had been doing was cutting back on my swim time and trying to refocus that time to the run or bike. I also have been not hitting the pool as often because I have been swimming in the lake. I think this approach has been all wrong, and I will tell you why.

The lake water has been almost 90 degrees, it is like swimming in a bathtub, which cuts the amount of swim training I have been doing. No one likes swimming in that hot of water, it wears you down.

So today, I decided to go back to the pool, and I am glad I did. Instead of swimming 500 yards, I was able to get in a designed workout. 100yd warmup, 5x200 (50 easy, 50 build, 50 easy, 50 hard) followed by a 200 cooldown. I felt like I got a better workout.

I used to think it was important to do as many OWS as possible, but I am not worried about doing OWS anymore. I have done enough races that the swim is nothing I worry about anymore, so my focus is back to the pool with organized workouts.

Next up is the Sharpshooter Super Sprint on the 29th. 400 yd swim, 11 mile bike and 2 mile run. Time to redline it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...