Thursday, July 14, 2011

I love Packet Pickup Day.



One of the best parts of training for a race in my opinion is packet pickup day. To me it kind of lets me know that training is over and now it is time to race. I am always interested in my race number. I have a goal to always come in better than my number, so sometimes it is a breeze, but other times it can make me push it. This Saturday is the mighty Mite Sprint Triathlon, one of the oldest triathlons in the country (they say). This is a point to point race, and typically it is a good race for me.


Packet pickup is very exciting. You have the regulars that I usually see at races, and you have first timers as well. You also have people there that will be sizing other athletes up as they get their packet. I learned long ago to not judge someone by the they the look, cause I have been beat my old fat guys and I have smoked lean in shape dudes, so you just never know.


In the bag, here is what you usually get:


  1. Race number

  2. Bike number

  3. swim cap

  4. safety pins for number

  5. a gel flavor that they can't get ride of (Montana Huckleberry??)

  6. 4000 flyers for other races

I always have such high hopes for the swag, but it is always the same. Usually the shirt is like the 15 other triathlon shirts I have that I end up giving to my wife. I have a drawer full of mocha, tangerine and no Montana huckleberry gels that I will never taste again, and I have a ton of saftey pins. I know this is what the bag will consist of, but I am always hopeful and I always look forward to getting the swag bag.


The best swag ever I got from a race was from the Gearhead Sprint Tri. They gave a tech shirt, T-shirt and running hat in the bag. It rocked and I still wear those shirts today! I know it is hard trying to please everyone, but at least make an effort. At least print the race on the swim cap, that's something we can keep and reuse!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...