Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mentoring and Wellness

As many of you know, I log all my workouts on beginnertriathlete.com and I have been doing this for a little over 2 years now. This site has been very helpful to me over the years and has provided me with a lot of information and put me in touch with like minded triathletes across the country. Every spring, BT.com does a mentoring program. The idea of it is to help out people that are new to the sport and to help motivate them on their journey of completing their first triathlon. I have been in two mentoring groups while on BT. So this year I thought I would step out and become a mentor. I put out my application and why I thought I would be a good mentor and once they approved me, I sat and waited for someone to join my group. It took about 2 days before anyone joined and I will say that I was wondering why. I mean, you start wondering why no one wants all the knowledge I have gained over the last three years! Then I remember it was the weekend when they approved me and everyone should be out training!

So far I have 11 people in my group and they all have different strengths, different reasons for doing triathlons and different backgrounds. They all have stories. They all have goals. I think it is gong to be a lot of fun working with these people.

Also at work, our company has started a wellness program, and they are asking each location to chart how many miles each team member walks or bike for 5 weeks. They asked to just give them weekly totals! LOL It is nice to be wanted now!

5 comments:

  1. That cool you are doing a mentor group. I am in one right now. it has died down of late but it was fun in the winter.

    My company just started a wellness contest also. They sent out an email and asked us all to sign up and it gave us a check box for "goals" My taper weeks are less than the max so I called the lady who is administering it and told her about my weekly volume and she thought I was joking with her. I said, "Well I biked 170 miles last week." She said, "excuse me?" We both decided it might be counterproductive if I am in this group because it might intimidate pretty much everyone else.

    She thinks I am crazy. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to give back!

    I wish my company did one of those wellness programs. I know of one company that gave gift cards for certain milestones. Mine would go broke if we triathletes participated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to be an excellent mentor! Your group is very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I been part of the BT mentor groups. They were fun. I think its cool that you are going to be a mentor. Maybe I will try someday, when I have more time on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently a part of a mentoring group. This is one of the reasons why I haven't kept up on my blogging. I am enjoying the experience and it is nice to have a small group to interact with and ask questions to. Not so intimidating.
    Good for you for stepping up to the plate and giving back.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...