Monday, December 15, 2008

I had Mice in my attic...

Notice I used the word had. My wife doesn't like this story, but it is a true story. I am taking a break from blogging about triathlons so my one reader might enjoy this.

After Thanksgiving, we went to get our Christmas tree down from the attic and I noticed that there was evidence of mice in my attic. They had chewed on boxes and even chewed the faces off some snowman ornaments, which made it a little personal. So I went out and bought some traps, figured I'd set the traps and it would be over with. I caught a little one pretty quick, but I knew there had to be others, I mean in every Disney movie starring a mice, they all live in herds, colonies or packs, whatever you call it when a bunch of mice live together. So I set a couple of traps.

The traps were filled with peanut butter and placed throughout the attic with care, in hopes that soon the mice would be there...wait, wrong story. I waited and checked and checked and waited but nothing got caught in my traps that were baited! (I can't seem to stop this rhyme fest!) Then finally in the night I heard in the attic a clatter and I jump from my bed to see what was the matter. I climb the stairs to the attic with flashlight in hand, I search and I find...nothing. Nothing was in the trap, but the peanut butter was missing. So I think that if the traps weren't enough, I needed more weapons of mice destruction.

Glue pads. The point of glue pads is that the mouse/rat gets stuck permanently to the pad. Perfect I thought, so I placed the glue pads right next to the traps. My thinking was that they would scour onto the glue trap to eat the peanut butter, they would be stuck and then WHACK, the trap springs! The perfect 1-2 punch, and if this does not work, I am just feeding this thing!

So I am laying in bed when I hear a loud noise in the attic again. I grab my light and run to the attic to see my kill. I check the trap, and it is sprung, peanut butter gone, but no mouse, and no glue trap! So now I am thinking that SOB ran off somewhere with a glue trap stuck to him. So I setup a perimeter and search for clues. I find the glue trap about 10 feet away from where I had it set, but it is empty, no mouse! Now I wonder what the heck is this thing? How big of a monster am I dealing with? I was tempted to wire a covert night vision camera up in the attic to make sure I was dealing with the King of all mice! All I know is that is time for the big guns and a trip to LOWE'S!

I found a trap that is at least 6 inches long. There is no way a mouse/rat can survive this. I also buy more of the littler traps just in case. So I get the traps home, bait them with peanut butter and strategically place them in the attic. 6 traps, plus 4 glue traps are covering the attic. I caught myself twice int he traps (which do hurt by the way) and once int he glue traps. It is on...

The family and I went to a Christmas party one night and after the boys went to bed, I snuck into the attic, checking my traps, when I hit paydirt! I got one!!! "Yeah, I knew I get you you little bastard!" Yeah, I trash talked the little mouse. The little dead mouse! He had it comin...

So anyways there is no more evidence of mice on my attic, but beware, the traps are still placed in the attic and I will be checking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...