Monday, August 18, 2008

Stand-Off!

Yesterday, I witnessed a stand-off at the gas pumps. Here is what went down. At the Kroger on 70, I was getting gas. Ont he other side of me was a truck also getting gas. Well a SUV pulled up to get in line next after the truck, but she pulled in so that she was front bumper to front bumper with the truck. So she expected the truck to finish getting gas and then back out so she could pull forward. I saw this coming and told my wife that I so wanted to tell the guy that he shouldn't back up, but should make her move instead, but I didn't.

So dude finishes pumping his gas and gets in his car. Lady in SUV is waiting for him to back out so she can get her gas. Neither budges. Horns started blowing. It was hard to tell who was laying on the horn (I was driving away as slow as possible to watch this play out) but neither one of them moved an inch. As I drove away to get to church on time, in my rear view mirror, I could see that they were still front bumper to front bumper.

So here is the question... Who should have moved. The truck at the pump or the SUV and why?

5 comments:

  1. The SUV should've moved. I don't know that there is any official reason for this, but I think its just like an elevator: the person egressing gets firsties, no matter what. Even if the elevator has doors on both sides like a hostpital, if you are on it and trying to get off of it, you are top priority and the person/s waiting to get on must wait for you to exit.

    If I had been in the truck, even if I could've easily backed out, I would've sat there like my vehicle only moved forward. SUV could've either waited for me to exit, or found another pump. Case closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and with that answer, you are correct Sir. I also felt that the SUV was in the wrong. In the ifrst place, you always pull behind a car at the pumps to keep the flow going. If you had seen the woman driving the SUV, you would have thought she felt the world owed her and that the Kroger should be thrilled that she was gracing them with her presence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur.
    That is the thing I do like about the way they do the gas pumps at Costco- it is like the bank. You pull up to the marked line and and when a pump opens up you pull forward...

    ReplyDelete
  4. and again Jessica b., you are also correct. The lady was soooooooooooo wrong, that I hope the guy waited it out. I wish I couls have stayed and watched it all play out to the end, but we had to get to church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would've gotten out of my vehicle locked it, and gone inside the store and taken my time. Either way you look at it the SUV was in the wrong. She should lose her license for that!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...