Wednesday, February 27, 2008

1 Down, 7 more to go!


Well the first triathlon race of 2008 is in the books for me. The Bartlett Rec Indoor Triathlon was held on Monday night at 5 PM, or at least my time was at 5. So here is my entry on how the race went:



The Swim:
The swim consisted of 10 laps or 500 yards. Normally that would not be a big deal and should have taken me under 10 minutes. Under 10 minutes with calm waters and me semi alone in the pool; however, Monday night at 5 is when the Bartlett Rec swim team practices. This really threw me off. The pool was very active, which made the waters very choppy, plus there was a seven year old next to me swimming like a dolphin! I started off without warming up any (my fault) and then I started off way too fast. After the third lap I was sitting at 2:37, which is way too fast for me to maintain. Much to my embarrassment, my kids and wife were there cheering me on, I had to stop and catch my breath several times in the swim alone. I finished the swim in 10:10 which really surprised me, but I think I could have done much better.

T1:
They gave me as much time as I wanted to change clothes, with the clock stopped. Which I took advantage of after the swim.

The Bike:
The bike was a stationary bike. I first tried to wear my cycle shoes and clip into the pedals, because I do at spin class, but this bike did not have the right type of pedals, so I wore my running shoes. The bike seat was uncomfortable (one of the wide old lady seats) and I did not get it adjusted correctly. The ride was easy enough though, 8 miles in 30:46. I was hoping for under 32 minutes.

T2:
Again no time limit, clock stopped, not an issue.

The Run:
The run was on a treadmill, and the only wrong with that is I did not know what speed to set it at. I finally went with 7 mph and went on my run. Two miles was not a big deal, and I had my iPod so it was not too bad. I finished the run in 16:42.

Overall my time was 57:41, which is under my personal goal of an hour. I am waiting to hear from the Rec center to see where I placed. It was fun, but also made me realize that I have a long way to go to get ready for the Memphis in May Olympic Triathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...