Sunday, September 2, 2018

Milestone

So the other day was kind of a big day for me.  A day I have been waiting for at least a year to arrive...

The day I as able to stop taking blood thinners. I have been on Brilanta for a little over a year. I had to start taking it after I had three stents installed in June 2017. I had passed out while playing basketball and after a heart cath, I was found to have a 90% blockage and a 70% blockage. So they went in and fixed me, and then they piled me up with meds. Meds for cholesterol, meds for other stuff and the blood thinner. I was told I had to stay on the thinner for at least a year to help with the stents.

Now, I hated taking the blood thinner medication. It made me bruise really easily, in fact I often joked that if you looked at me to hard, then I'd probably bruise! The main reason I hated it was because any little nick, and I would bleed for at least 45 minutes. I hated it!  When I cut myself shaving, man, did I bleed.  Sometimes I would wake up and have blood on my pillow because of some little unknown cut that bled.  So I was really looking forward to that day when I gt the okay from my heart doc to stop taking them.

But, I have to say, it was a little bit weird not taking them anymore. Not like an addictive kind of thing, but a what is it going to be like not taking them kind of weird. So while I was looking forward to not taking them, I also had some concern as to what would it be like not taking them.

It's been almost two weeks off the Brilanta, and I can report that I feel no different off them than I did on them. Now I still have to take some aspirin, but I hear you should be doing that anyways. So the bruising has decreased a lot, and the bleeding is not near as bad as it was.

Long story short is that I am happy to have this behind me. I am feeling great!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...