Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Taper on Paper...


It's my favorite time of the year, TAPER TIME! I have done all the long training that I am going to do and there is nothing left but to rest up and prepare for the race.I honestly hate the Taper time because I always start to worry if I did enough. Truth be told, I am not sure another long run at this time would do me any good. I had my last long run Friday, a 20 miler. It went really well and was a huge confidence boost for me. I finished it in 3:42, but here is the best thing. I felt great afterwards. I wasn't struggling, I wasn't in sheer agony either! I felt like I had another 6 miles in me for sure!

So I will take the next two weeks to let my body and mind rest, recover and prepare for the race, and here is how I am going to taper:


  • I am cutting my mileage back by about 50-75% of what I have been doing. This week I will run 3, 5, 3 and 8 mile runs. The following week I will cut it back even more and run a 3, 3, 2 miler.
  • I expect to feel some new pains that will worry me, but I need to remember that is part of it and not unnatural as my body is repairing itself.
  • Sleep. I will not try to get excessive sleep, but I will try and make sure I am getting 8 hours of sleep a night.
  • I will review the race course map and make sure I am familiar with what is coming up on the course.
  • I plan on doing a lot more stretching during my taper and even some easy cross training, like swimming.
  • Hydrating- I will definitely start incorporating more water during these next two weeks. I do not know what the weather will be like on Dec 1st yet, but either way, I want to make sure my body is well hydrated.
I am seriously looking forward to this race this year. I learned so much from running it last year, and I know I am more prepared. It is going to be a good time!!!


7 comments:

  1. Yep, be ready for the taper niggles. Each little ache and pain is just the repair process even though it feels like it will develop into a race ending issue.

    Congrats on the awesome long run! You are ready for sure if you can run 20 miles and feel great. Must be a nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a weird feeling, not one I have had before! lol

      Delete
  2. We will see you in a couple of weeks - plan on getting my rib eating on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for great rest and a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the taper time ;) I always hate tapering because I feel like I'm lazy, then after the race it takes me forever to get back up to where I was because I'm so lazy ;) lol

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...