It's my favorite time of the year, TAPER TIME! I have done all the long training that I am going to do and there is nothing left but to rest up and prepare for the race.I honestly hate the Taper time because I always start to worry if I did enough. Truth be told, I am not sure another long run at this time would do me any good. I had my last long run Friday, a 20 miler. It went really well and was a huge confidence boost for me. I finished it in 3:42, but here is the best thing. I felt great afterwards. I wasn't struggling, I wasn't in sheer agony either! I felt like I had another 6 miles in me for sure!
- I am cutting my mileage back by about 50-75% of what I have been doing. This week I will run 3, 5, 3 and 8 mile runs. The following week I will cut it back even more and run a 3, 3, 2 miler.
- I expect to feel some new pains that will worry me, but I need to remember that is part of it and not unnatural as my body is repairing itself.
- Sleep. I will not try to get excessive sleep, but I will try and make sure I am getting 8 hours of sleep a night.
- I will review the race course map and make sure I am familiar with what is coming up on the course.
- I plan on doing a lot more stretching during my taper and even some easy cross training, like swimming.
- Hydrating- I will definitely start incorporating more water during these next two weeks. I do not know what the weather will be like on Dec 1st yet, but either way, I want to make sure my body is well hydrated.
I am seriously looking forward to this race this year. I learned so much from running it last year, and I know I am more prepared. It is going to be a good time!!!