Monday, January 30, 2012

I Got STANKY!

I ran Stanky creek in Sunday. I ran a 5k trail run through woods as part of a winter cross country series put on by the Memphis Runner Track Club. This is one of the runs that I have a love/hate relationship with. I love the fact that it is a trail run and something different from the normal 5k's, but I hate that it is out on the woods. If I could find a climate controlled indoor 5k, then I'd be all in!
This is after the mud dried!
It was a beautiful day for this race. I ran the race last year and finished in 28:06, so I know I had to "Bring It" and beat last years time. Trail runs are tough to PR for me. In years past, I always have started towards the back of the starting line and hoped that would calm my nerves, I figure this way I can just pass alot of people and it will trick me into thinking I did well. Well, I took a new approach in 2012, The Year I Bring IT!  (That will be a noticeable theme throughout my posts this year)

The temperatures were in the upper 40s, lower 50s for the race and the sun was shining. I never really know what to wear for these type of races, but I figured I would warm up once I got going, so it was shorts and t-shirt for me and an older pair of Brooks Glycerins. (next race if the weather is right, I am rocking my newest tri top). I got to the race site about 20 minutes prior to the start of the race and jogged a little bit and talked to my boy Mickey. We postitioned ourselves about 1/4 of the way back and before I knew it, we were off and running.

The first 200 yards or so were on pavement till we made the turn into the woods. I knew that the bottlenecking would happen soon, so I started out faster than I normally would. To me, it seems like trail runs are like intervals. You run, stop, then run faster to make up time and then stop again. So needless to say, there was a lot of stopping and waiting to cross the bridges and ditches. At one point, I stepped on a rock or something and twisted my ankle. I just knew that I had lost my season. I thought I had tore up my ankle, so I took my time and figured out that I was OK and could start running again, which was a huge relief. So then it was just a matter of planning my passes and trying to get around people, which is one of the toughest things about a trial race. I did not wear my Garmin, because I knew it would not give me good information once I was in the woods, so I went with the old stopwatch. The trail was in good shape for the most part, but there was a lot of mud that I went through.
The toughest part for me was avoiding the trees!

When running through the trail, I was more focused on the ground, looking for roots, rocks and mud. Several times I would look up just in time to zig out of the way of a tree that was in the middle of the path. It seemed like they were popping up like in a a shooting range or something, and I did not want to get taken out of the race because I ran into a tree!
I was really happy with my over effort on the race and just kept focusing on my pace. I passed people when I saw the opportunity and stayed upright. I was shooting for somewhere int he 26 minute range, but I finished in 27:32. This placed me 21st out of 42 in my Age Group and 163rd out of 650 overall. I finished with an 8:52 pace. That beat last years time!  So far in 2012, I am 2 races into the season and I have 2 PR's already. I kinda like saying that!


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on another PR! That is definitely a great way to start the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a GREAT trail time :) and I love the dirty Brooks. Makes you look so hardcore. So Happy for you and your PR!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...