Monday, May 17, 2010

Lake Swimmin...


AD, John and I swimming

One of the cool things about people reading my blog is that you can find people that are training for the same races you are doing. I got an email the other day from John, a guy that is also doing Ironman Branson 70.3. Since there is safety in numbers, we decided it'd be a good idea to look into doing some training rides and swims. He was looking for some OWS practice, and it just happens that I have an area where I OWS!


AD and I already had plans to swim on Sunday, so we made plans for JOhn to join us. I wanted to try out my new wetsuit I got at Gearhead Oufitters (Thanks Macca! Inside joke, real thanks goe to my boy Ted!) I got a new 2XU sleeveless wetsuit, it's AWESOME! I had wanted to try out a sleeveless suit since mine is a full sleeve suit. My shoulders always got tired really fast in the full sleeve suit and that worried me about doing 1.2 miles in it.

The new wetsuit slipped on very easy and I was able to zip it and close it myself. Everyone got suited up and jumped in the water. The water was cold at first but soon we all got used to it and it was very nice.
>

Water was not as cold as it looks!

Getting used to the water, which felt really good!

I swam across the lake the first time and felt really comfortable in the water. I usually get a little nervous anytime I jump in the lake, but this time I wasn't. I guess it is true that the more you do something, the more comfortable you feel. My breathing was good, sighting was alright and my pace could have been quicker. It was good going swimming with other people, because I felt the guys hitting my feet, which it made it more like a race type of swim, so it was good to get that out of my system.


My sighting is something I still need to work on!

Overall, we swam a little over a 1/4 mile. I got what I wanted out of the swim. I know I will need to get out there more often and really get some longer distances, which I am looking forward to. I have since found a bigger group for us to swim with, so I am really looking forward to the swim portion of Branson.

I look fat huh? What up with that?


***Hats off to my son Jacob for taking the pictures. Not bad for a 10 yr old photogrpaher! ***

5 comments:

  1. Jacob is a great photographer! That lake looks super clean and very refreshing. After my OWS this weekend, I'm dying to get out and so more. Sure beats the pool. Cool wetsuit too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wetsuits are just not flattering! I think of myself being a human sausage wrapper! haha!

    That looks like a REALLY nice lake to get OWS swim in. Also nice that you have folks to swim with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two big geese chased me off that location today, they were seriously mean, I had to snap my towel at one to get it to back-off. I went down to dave's and went off his dock. No wetsuit just in case MIM is above 78. Shaving the body tomorrow. I'll call you and we can chat while I paint my toenails.

    GH

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lake looks much nicer than ours :(
    Ours is S-C-A-R-Y! Lots of weeds and really black. The upside is seeing Kangaroo's drinking at the waters edge which is pretty cool.
    Great to see you have a good group to swim with.
    I try not to look at myself in my wetsuit - adds 10lbs I reckon!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...