Monday, May 4, 2009

OWS= Open Water Swim Baby!

In order to get ready for Memphis in May Triathlon, it is important to get in a lot of swimming in my opinion. And a lot of swimming I have done, in a pool. Most triathlons are not swam in the pool, but in a lake, which is totally different.

So Sunday afternoon, me and two buddies headed out to Lakeland and jumped in Garner Lake for a swim. It was the first OWS for one of the guys, so it was good for him to experience it before the race.

The water was a nice 69 degrees, which was a little cold, but also felt really good after you got going. We all had wetsuits on which helped battle the temps. I also used ear plugs for the first time, which is suppose to help you battle cold water.

Last year at MIM, the water temp was 64 degrees and when my face went into the water, it kicked my butt. I honestly thought I was not going to make it out of the swim, my chest tightened up and I just could not get a breath. I honestly thought they were going to pull me out cause I was having such a hard time. So this year I am going to be ready.

The swim went great, I was able to get into a good rhythm early and really made me more confident about the race.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the exact same way at the Natchez Trace Tri this year. Water temp was 56 but I don't recall being all that cold. Just couldn't catch my breath no matter what. I ended up side stroking about a third of it! Time to find some lakes here that allow OWS and aren't full of snakes!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...