Friday, April 3, 2009

Rebelman Sprint Triathlon

Well folks, triathlon #2 is in the books. Last Sunday I drove down to Ole Miss University and competed in their triathlon. It was a great race except for the weather. It was 43 degrees that morning.

The race started off n the pool with a 400 meter swim. Each swimmer started in intervals of 10 seconds and you were placed in line by the swim time you gave them for that distance. A lot of people either lied or never timed themselves. I passed at least 6 people on the swim portion alone. It was also different for me because it was a 50m pool, and I train in a 25 yd pool. I felt fast and in control during the swim. I saw one guy that was ahead of me in line by at least 20 people and he used a snorkel! I did not know that was even legal! But I KNOW that he was not faster than me.

After the swim, I grabbed my towel as I ran out into the 43 degree temperature and tried to dry off as much and as fast as I could. I had already decided that I was going to take my time and wear my tights, long sleeves and gloves on the bike, screw the extra minute it would take me. It felt good to wear clothes out there.

The bike went great. I am so much stronger than I was last year, and I could tell all those late night trainer rides helped. I passed another 10-12 people on the bike or so and felt really good. It was hilly, which was surprising for Mississippi. I got back and made the easy transition to running, all I had to do was change shoes and take off the helmet.

The run is where I had trouble. My feet were killing me! I had really hoped my new orthotics would have arrived in time for the race, but they didn't and the run hurt so bad that at one point I knew I would have a stress fracture in my foot. I partnered with a college kid and we ran it in together.

After the race, I got a drink, a banana and a leg massage! I finished in 1:29, breaking the elusive 1:30 mark already! I was happy with the race results. Only thing is that my age group is so competitive, I finished 25 out of 42. My time in the younger age group would have awarded me 10th. Go figure!

Now I am starting my training for Memphis in May, I have my new orthotics, a newer wetsuit and confidence. I will let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

  1. Good times all around my man. Sucks about the "rule-benders," but I've come to the conclusion that those types exist in all walks of life and there is nothing you can do but shake your head and follow the rules.

    I wonder if there's a MiM 5k...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...