Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Unwritten Law

Sunday, my oldest son Jake competed in his second kids triathlon. The event consisted of a 100 yd swim, a 3 mile bike and a 1/2 mile run. He did a great job and finished it in about 25 minutes. we are very proud of him for competing and doing his best. As we were driving home, I was struck by what seems to be a unwritten law of the road, which got me thinking.... I'll explain.

Driving home in the minivan on Houston Levee from the triathlon, we were behind a motorcycle the entire way. Now I am sure everyone knows the answer to this, but what happens when a motorcycle sees another motorcycle in the other lane heading their way?? They give a short little tough guy wave to each other. Doesn't matter if there is 4 lanes between them, they all get the wave. And it is not the "Hey over here" type of wave, but more of the I am waving so only you can see me motorcycle friend. The wave that reaches low to the ground, using the left hand only, with only two fingers extended. I thought at first they might know each other, but the same dude knew 3 other motorcyclists on that road. It became quite funny.


So, that made me want to roll down my window and give my own little shout out to anyone rockin a minivan like we were! I mean why not? Why should the tough biker dudes be the only ones that get to wave? I secretly hoped the biker guy in front of me would see me, not so much so that he knew I was laughing at him, but really more that he would think what an idiot I was for waving at minivans.

We have all seen this happen. I do not know if it is an unwritten law or not, but I know that it does not only apply to motorcycles, but Jeeps also (the soft-tops, not the ones that people get that will never go off roading). Runners, cyclists also do this wave thing as well.

2 comments:

  1. Team Babb will be breaking out the champagne for our new minivan in a couple of weeks.

    As much as I hate to join the ranks of "mini-van owners," I'll be glad to give you the tough guy wave if we should ever cross paths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just figured I'd drop by to say I replied to your comment on my post. It's a good dialogue we've got going.

    Oh, and I've noticed the pedestrian equivalence of this when walking across campus. I described it in a previous post. It's something similar to sucking in the corners of your mouth.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...