Sunday, June 22, 2008

Yellow Belt!

Yellow people! (Get it? was suppose to be hello people, but I changed it?? never mind) We had a big day last Friday in our household. The youngest Memphis has been taking Karate lessons for a little over a month now. He has made tremendous strides also, His jumping jacks are so much better, his focus has gotten better and his "yes sirs" and happening more frequently.

It came time for him to test for his yellow belt. His instructor told us that he was close and asked if we could attend an extra class or so that week. So I made sure we made it to extra practice and I did all I could, but he seemed kind of indifferent to it. Kind of like whatever, and I will say this frustrated me to no ends! So I had to sit him down and have a heart to heart talk with him. The last thing I wanted to do was make him go, and have him end up hating it while we are stuck paying for 11 more months!

So I explained to him what it would take to get his belt, and I told him that I wanted to help him but I can't do it for him. This is something only he can do and that it will take practice. Lots and lots of practice! So he tells me he wants it and he wants to practice and work for it!

So fast forward in the story to last Friday..TEST DAY! His class goes through goes through their drills, then the instructor sits them all along the fence and says that one of their teammates is going to test for their yellow belt. GO TIME BABY! I admit I was nervous.

As he is going through his combinations and defensive sets, I am mouthing the steps, sending everything i have in me to him, like I can get in his brain to help him remember the steps. He hits everything. Perfectly. I was so very proud, I felt my eyes well up a bit, and if you know me, you know that is a big thing. I think I was more nervous for him, then anything athletic event that I myself have been involved in!

It was quite a rewarding feeling seeing my son succeed the way he did! Another memory I never want to forget.

2 comments:

  1. Hey congrats to the young Memphis! I always wanted to take karate when I was a young-in...probably for all the wrong reasons.

    What is in queue next...purple belt? I think I remember black belt is the highest, but that may just be my memory of television/movies being inaccurate again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Orange belt is next. I do not know all the steps or order of the belts.

    I thiknk I am learning some Karate as well becasue I am trying to learn what he needs to work on at home!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...