Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Flip turns in December...

I know I have been saying for awhile that I was planning on getting back to the pool after the half marathon as over, and I am happy to report that I have been to the pool twice this week! So I headed off to the Bartlett recreation Center to hit the water.

I remembered where the pool was. I remember my combination to my locker, and my jammers did not look to ridiculous on me. In my locker were my Zoggs goggles, swim cap and flippers, everything I needed was there. So I changed clothes, grabbed my towel and walked out to the pool area.

As I was walking, I noticed how empty the pool was. there were maybe two other people, not including the lifeguard in the pool, swimming laps. It always seems to be this way that once the season is over, the pool becomes an empty place until the New year crowds show up, but it is one of my favorite times to be in the pool. In fact, one of my most favorite traditions is my Christmas Eve swim. I am usually the only one in the pool. The gym usually closes early, so I can get in and out easily, and as I was walking to the far lane, I was already planning my Dec 24th swim.

As I got to the far lane, I placed my stuff down and got on my goggles and cap. I then walked down tot he deep end of the pool and do a wicked pencil drop into the pool. (I saw Crowie do this on an IM special and thought it was cool, so I start all my swims that way now)

It felt good to be in the water. I swam 500 yards and that was enough. It has been a long time since I last swam and it was evident. I swam the 500 in 10:04 and was not upset with that time. 500 yds used to be a warm up!!!  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed swimming and I was glad to be back in the water. My plan is to continue to swim 500 yards, three times a week until January and then amp up the speed and distance. I hope to have a clear plan as to my race schedule and will have a plan in place.


P.S. My flip turns were about the same as I left, so that's a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I can still do flip turns, however, like you, I noticed that my endurance in the water isn't what it used to be!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...