Thursday, June 21, 2012

LOVE-HATE-LIKE AGAIN???



I think as triathletes, we all fall into two mindsets when we are training for a race. We either love it or hate it. I am not sure I have ever been in the position of loving all three segments at the same time. I have loved running and swimming, but hated biking and I have loved biking and running, but hated swimming. Currently, I hate running!!


Yes, I hate running, and I think I figured out why! Lately I have been so anal about following my training plan to the letter, that I have been trying to hit every pace listed, every timed interval and every cool down, just like it says, and this includes running, swimming and biking. My runs have been anywhere between 5 and 9 miles to date (this is for a HIM in early Sept) with the distances increasing, and I have been doing 90% of my running on a treadmill. 7 miles on the treadmill?? Yes you read it right.  I think that is sucking the joy of running out of me.

Now, I did find a new love for the treadmill this winter while doing intervals, because I easily always knew the time left, and I could control the speed to whatever pace I needed, and I have had success with the treadmill so far this year in speeding up my runs. However, the runs up until lately were all under 6 miles. I think that is about my limit on a treadmill. An hour. I have realized that a treadmill can be comfortable. The fan blowing on me feels nice, the TV is always on ESPN and a bathroom is always nearby. There is always a spot for my towel to wipe the sweat away and a place for my water bottle to sit, always within reach.  COMFORTABLE, TOO COMFORTABLE!

So to break out of this funk, I tried watching some YouTube videos of running, and I realized that not a single one of them had anything to do with a treadmill. IMAGINE THAT! So I am going to quit worrying so much about making sure my pace is where the plan says it suppose to be, and I am going to get outside and run more. Screw the geese! (Which by the way had zero impact on me not running outside, I ain't afraid of a goose) I am working out early enough that the heat should not be a huge factor except on Sundays. So I am changing things up and expecting different results. I am already getting excited about my next run since I decided to drop the dreadmill (I mean, I will not totally avoid the dreadmill, but I will not plan on using it unless I have too). This will hopefully change my mindset of dreading my run to a looking forward to MY run. Yes I meant to capitalize MY, because it is my run, watch this! 


This is my run
There are many others like it
But this one is mine
My run is my haven
It is my life
I must master it as I must master my life
Without me, my run is nothing
Without my run, I am nothing
I must run this road's true
I must run faster than the stress of the world that's working to drag me down
I must outrun stress before it overruns me
I will
I swear this creed
My run and I are defenders of my sanity.
We are the master of my body
We are the saviors of my life
So be it
Until victory is mine, and nothing remains
But peace.
(This was not written by me)



7 comments:

  1. Good idea getting outside. 7 miles on a treadmill is a huge mental challenge. I was wondering how you were doing with the geese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM NOT SCARED OF THE GOOSE! LOL Next week I am on vacation at the beach and I am looking forward to running outside in Florida!

      Delete
  2. Hmm... I'm in the hate running phase right now. Hope to snap out of it soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think me and running officially broke up, but we are still trying to work things out.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes we forget that we got into this because it's supposed to be FUN. I'm getting back to the fun part, even though it might make my IM next month more miserable. I've found that trail running really helps with the fun factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent point, it has to remain fun. Although, getting faster and smoking people is fun!!!

      Delete
  4. I wonder if I will ever not hate running. I keep waiting to fall in love. So far, I've only fallen in love with the ends of my runs. Best wishes as you hit the streets. Be safe out there.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...