Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April Abs Update (We're Not Young)

Well, you might have noticed that Daily Trainings has been quiet for a few days. This was due to somethings happening at work that required alot of attention. I am talking about 14 hour days and overnight type of attention, so blogging kind of got lost in the fog I was in. it also really messed up my S/B/R workouts alot. I was so happy to come off a big month for me and had high hopes for April, but what are you gonna do? I have to pay the bills right?

The one thing I was able to keep up with were the ab/core workouts I had planned for April. I made the commitment, wrote it down for all to see, so I had to follow through, and I am glad I did. I have been able to see some gains from doing these extra workouts. I am not seeing the six pack, but there are other things to celebrate!

  • Diet- If you remember, I said in my last post that I was not only going to add the workouts, but I also was going to pay close attention to my diet. Normally, my weight ranges from 187 to 193 on a weekly basis. In April, I am ranging now between 182 and 187. I contribute this to my lack of cokes and fast foods. I am totally eating fruits and nuts for snacks, salads and healthier choices for lunch and dinner and cutting out the late night snack/meal. I also contribute this loss to my drinking more water. I have not totally cut out Cokes all together, but I limit myself to one glass a day. I can't really say I am missing everything I cut out, so this might just become a habit for me.
  • Core- I am totally feeling gains when I swim due to my core being stronger. I feel I have a more powerful stroke and that I am going just as fast with the same effort as before, and I think it is because my legs are staying up in the water and not dragging behind me once I get tired. I can even feel it when I run, and it feels good!
  • Exercises- I have mostly been doing the P90X workout and the hanging leg raises workout. Both are equally tough and the first workout hurt for days!  Not a "man I pulled something" type of hurt, but more of a "I overdid it" type of hurt. I had forgotten how annoying Tony Horton can be! I still can't get through all the DVD, but I am getting closer. I am feeling an upper body benefit when I do the hanging leg raises as well, and that is kind of my favorite workout right now, but it seems to only focus on the upper abs, so I need to make sure I am working them all.
  • Tone?- All I know is things are getting better. Like I said, there is no six pack yet, but I can definitely see some progress in the ab region. I know I have my work cut out for me, but April is not over yet. I think the biggest thing for me is to continue the ab specific workouts and my diet. I think the diet is more important that the workouts in a way. Either way, I plan on continuing to see what happens, so it might need to stretch out through May. Pictures might be included in May.
Now, I always like to include pictures on my blog, but I couldn't think of any that really fit this post, so I am including a video. This is a spoof of the song "We Are Young" by Fun. it is a great song and I have it on my iPod. Some group made a parody of it called "We're Not Young" and talks about being in your 30s and such (been there, done that) so enjoy,and listen to the words! Also, please send me any tips you have for ab/core workouts I can incorporate! I know a lot of people said that they may join me on the April Ab challenge, so let me know how it is coming along!

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I didn't realize how similar we are in weight.
    I've got 4 weeks and a couple days to my first Oly Tri of the season. I've cleaned up my eating a bit more. Hoping for 180 at the start line that day. Hanging around 186 at the moment. It could happen. It's just really hard not to eat everything in the fridge after a 4 hour bike. haha.
    This abs thing is going to take until August for me. Hope you keep it rollin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about wanting to eat everything in sight after a tough workout, and I still eat lots when hungry, I just try to make sure it is healthier. It is expensive to eat healthy we are finding! I plan to keep the ab thing going for awhile!

      Delete
  2. lol funny vid :) I'm almost 30 - I'll be 30 this year. I have been doing an april abs challenge. I am doing alright but find it's hard to incorporate. I just got clearance to run (as you know) so I'm excited about that.

    I think you are doing a GREAT job and I wouldn't expect a change in looks, but rather feel. I bet you can do more pushus b/c of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a change in looks, I am shallow that way! LOL The whole is to quit talking and to do it, so I want to prove to myself that it was doable all these years!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the weight loss and the core strength gains! Keep up the good work specially with a crazy work schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I think I am going to stretch the April Ab workouts into May and June! (right before vacation time)

      Delete
  4. That video is hysterical and depressing all at the same time. If I would not have found tri I'd probably have been the lead singer in that parody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already liked that song, but I think I like this version better! I love the part about them doing yoga and they "but I probaly won't"! LOL

      Delete

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...