I just have a few things to ramble about on this Easter Sunday:
1. The week after my trail run has been pretty good. I have had some great runs, swims and bikes this week and I am feeling pretty good about where I want to be with my training for Memphis in May. I have really focused on my running this year and I am hoping that a stronger run will benefit me this season. I have been using the treadmill more than normal, only because I am really trying to focus on maintaining a pace. In past races, I have been all over the place as far as my runs go, and it has definitely been the weaker leg of the three.
2. To follow up on the last point, I ma signing up for a road race series that starts in June. It consists of 10 races. 2 races of the following distances: 5k, 5 miler, 10k, 10 miler and 13.1 miles. So that is the chance to run 20 road races for only $55! BARGAIN! A lot of the reason I am doing this is because I think it will help me for my HIM in Sept and it will also benefit me as I plan on attempting my first marathon in December. They say the best training you can do for running is to run more, so I am going to run more. The best part about this series is that it will not mess with my triathlon schedule at all. I am planning on doing only 6 of these races, which will consist of one of every distance, plus the other half marathon, but we will see how it works out.
3. All of my bike rides this year have been trainer rides, late night, watching DVR TV trainer rides. I am not sure how I feel about that either. I mean part of me wants to get out and ride, but also it is hard to find the time to get away. I can honestly say that there has to be a curve for trainer rides. 25 miles on the trainer has to equal at least 30 miles right? I know that 90 minutes pedaling is 90 minutes of pedaling, so I am hoping this is helping me out. We will see in a few weeks.
4. Today I had planned a nice 8 mile run outside in this beautiful weather we are having, but after lunch, I laid on the couch to let my food settle as usual. I usually grab a cat nap after Sunday lunch and then hit the streets around 3PM, but not today. I slept hard on the couch. I could have slept longer if I could, but once I awoke around 4PM, the wife wanted to take the kids to the park, so I decided that since I slept as much as I did, that maybe my body was trying to tell me that it needed some rest. That is how I took it at least. I think there is a real benefit in taking an unscheduled rest day every once in a while.
5. I have been looking for some new triathlon bike shoes and not having very much luck. They are very expensive. There is nothing wrong per se with my old shoes, but I just want some new ones. I almost bought some new Shimano shoes lst week, but they did not have them in my size, so my search will continue.