Monday, March 16, 2009

When a Run was a run...

I remember when going out for a run was as simple as saying, “honey, I am going jogging, be back in a little while.” Well since I started my triathlon training, it is so not that easy. Just look at all the stuff that goes with me and you would understand what I mean. So I am going to chronicle everything that gets taken into account on my running days.

•Weather: Usually when it is warm, I go with a shirt and shorts. If it is in the upper 80’s then shirt is optional. Anything lower then 60 but above 50, then I wear my long tights and t-shirt. Below 50, then it is tights, shirt and long sleeve shirt. Below 40 and it is gloves, hat, tights, t-shirt and long sleeve shirt and a skull cap. Anything below 30, then I stay inside or hit the “dreadmill”! I love running in a summer rain and in weather that keeps most people inside.

•iPod: Usually on longer runs, I will take my iPod. USAT races will not allow you to use an iPod, so I do shorter runs without it. I like to find songs that have a good pace to it, which usually seem to be songs that are a little edgier than others. A good beat always helps and I can always count on that one song I need to come when I am getting tired.

•Glasses: Simple, if it is sunny or windy, I wear sunglasses. If my run has to happen late and it is getting dark, then I have clear lenses I wear. Nothing worse than a twig to the eye you did not see.

•RoadID: Always wear my Road ID Road ID. It is an ankle strap that contains the information on it to determine who I am and who to contact in case I get ran over by a car. Also wear it racing, and I believe everyone should look into this.

•Garmin: Instead of a watch, I now wear a Garmin GPS on my wrist. The doohickey will time my run, tell me my pace (mile per minute) and let me know how far I have run. No more days of running, and then jumping in the car or on my bike and redoing the course to get a distance. I love this device.

•Nutrition: I classify my runs into two parts, short runs and long runs. My short runs are anywhere from 3-6 miles and long runs are between 6 and 10 miles. Soon, by the end of the summer, short runs will be in the 6-10 mile range, long runs over 10 miles. I never carry anything on the short runs because we are only talking about 40 minutes running. Long runs I take a fuel belt, which is a belt that has something that looks like 2 flasks connected to it.

•Other items

•Hat: This could go into apparel, but it has a specific reason to be worn. I only wear my hat when I do not want to wave at the neighbors or give any indication that I want you to acknowledge me in any way. I am there to run, not chit chat.

•Headlight: Yes, if I run at night I wear a headlight like a miner. Two reasons for this: 1. I want people (cars) to see me coming and 2. I do not want to trip and break my face. It does look corny, I know this, but it makes me feel safer.

•On long runs, I will carry some TP. Nothing worse than getting stuck and needing a bathroom. Yes it has happened before. Sunscreen is a must.

•My Kids: Soon it will be time to break out my youngest in the jogging stroller, just like my other two boys did when they are his age. Now my two oldest boys might ride their bikes while I run. One stays in front, the other behind me; I call them my pace cars. The only problem with this is that they talk so dang much and have so many questions while out that it drives me crazy!

This is just for going on a run, you should also see my biking list or my swimming list! Crazy huh? It is, but it is fun and I love it. No cell phones to answer out there, no emails to get too, just me and my 80's tune, grinding out the mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on my blog and let me know what you think, good or bad, I can take it, and thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the word verification, but the spammers be spamming...